We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
My girls are really getting into LEGO sets, and I wanted them to both have a table that they could use to build and play on. I didn’t want to be stepping on those little LEGO’s, and I knew they would be all over the house. I did some research and found that a table would cost us around $100, and I was hoping for two. OUCH! Lucky for me, my husband Rob said he could make some and he figured it would be about half the cost. Woo Hoo!
They turned out great, and my girls love them! All of the supplies came from Home Depot. We found the LEGO base plates on sale for only $4.99 at www.lego.com with free shipping, so that helped reduce the overall cost. When we searched online for similar tables we found prices ranged from $90.00 to $150.00. If you would be interested in making your own, here is what you will need:
- 1 MDF 1/2 inch board (size will depend on the size of table you want)
- 1 Gorilla Super Glue Bottle (for plastic to wood)
- 1 Elmer’s Carpenter’s Wood Glue (for wood legs to base)
- 6 LEGO Bricks & more Green Building Plate
- 16 Finishing nails (4 nails per leg)
- Cut MDF board to size of play area you desire (table shown is 30″ L by 20″ W) keeping in mind the LEGO plates are 10 x 10
- Cut 8 pieces of MDF board for the legs (9 1/2″ high by 4″ wide – 2 pieces per side)
- Glue 2 pieces of MDF board together using Elmer’s wood glue, clamp it and let dry for 24 hours
- Once the legs are dry, you can attach them to the table, using the wood glue and finishing nails (4 nails per leg)
- Glue 6 LEGO base plates to the top of the table, using Gorilla super glue. Let dry for 24 hours
Our total cost was around $45-$50 for each table. You can paint the legs if you want the table to fit in with a certain color scheme.
Let me know if you have any questions. I’d love to know if you plan on making one too.
The following DIY post was brought to you by Shelley, a contributor here at Thrifty and Thriving, she showed me a photo of the tables her husband made for her girls for Christmas and I practically screamed at her “THAT WOULD MAKE AN AWESOME BLOG POST!!”