Back-to-School Gifts for Teachers or Kids (Candy Pencils)

I made some Back-to-School gifts for a group of girls at church.  These are made with a roll of Rolo’s Candy and made to look like a pencil.  They turned out super cute and are very easy to make!  I got the inspiration to make these from Simple J Studio, where she made these as Valentine’s for teachers.

What you will need:

• Rolo’s
  • Hershey Hugs (or Kisses)
  • Yellow and Pink Cardstock
  • Foil
  • Glue Dots
  • Ribbon or String
  • Craft Scissors w/ Pinking Edge (optional)

Pull the Hershey’s label out of the Hug, and use the Glue Dots to attach the Hershey’s Hug to one of the ends of the Rolo. If you aren’t familiar with Glue Dots, they are the best things EVER!!  Everybody needs a box or two or three in their house.  I usually pick them up at Michael’s with a 40% off coupon.

Cut about a 1″ thick pink strip to add to the top of the Rolo to resemble an eraser.  I cut a circle and attached it to the top to finish it off.

Next cut a piece of yellow cardstock to wrap around the Rolo’s.  Fold it about an quarter of an inch over and over to create the crease marks for the pencil, and then attach it to the Rolo’s

Cut a thin piece of foil to cover the part where the yellow and pink overlap, this works as the metal portion of the pencil. Lastly, you can attach a note to the finished product with a ribbon or string. You are done!

Optional: You can cut one end of the yellow cardstock with pinking scissors so it has more of that sharpened pencil look.

Welcome to Thrifty and Thriving! You may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or have the once a day email delivered to your inbox. My Facebook Page is an excellent way to stay up-to-date on the hottest deals.

Share on Facebook520Pin on Pinterest200Tweet about this on Twitter4Share on Google+2Email this to someone

Comments

1. says

OMG– that is ADORABLE!! I am totally doing this next year when my son starts school! In fact… maybe we’ll do it this year for his pre-K “day care” teachers for next week. So cute!

2. angie says

SOOO CUTE! We were just thinking what to give to my dd new teacher when we meet ther on the 1of sept . this will be awesome to give!

3. Lola says

I made these for end of the year teacher gifts last year with a gift card attached. They were a big hit. Glue dots would have been a lot better! I think all I had was scotch tape on hand at the time.

4. Mrs. Studer says

As a teacher, I would love to recieve these! We get so many “cute” things, but end up throwing away most of the “cute” gifts. We can only use so many #1 teacher cups and notepads.

5. Tara says

I just made 40 of these as back to school gift for my Sunday School class. They are going to love them! Thanks for the idea.

6. Paula says

That is so cute I think we will make them and give them to the teachers at the back to school bash they have. Thanks for the wonderful Idea

7. Karen A. says

Thank you for this great idea! I absolutely love it! What would I do without this great blog?!

8. Sunny says

We made these last night, and it was really easy and fun. We don’t have rolos at our Walmart so we used glue dots and put together lifesaver mints to wrap up as the pencils with the Hershey Kiss as the tip. It worked really well. Since we personally know my sons new teacher (my mom) she will really appreciate mints over rolos any day. :D THanks for the idea!!

9. Lucy says

Cute, quick, and makes me wish I was a teacher! I’m planning to make these with my niece when we visit next week. Thanks for the great idea.

10. says

I tried this with glue dots but it left the edges not stuck together. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use alot of dots all in a row?

11. says

@Beth I didn’t have to use a lot of glue dots. I used regular tape to tape it down to the Rolo’s and then I used the glue dots on the edges you can see. I used 3 glue dots for the yellow part, one at the top, one at the bottom and one in the middle.

12. says

Thanks for the inspiration. I tried to recreate something similar, but could not find rolls of Rolos :/ I substituted a roll of fruit Mentos which have a shiny pink wrapper which doubled as the eraser. The biggest problem is that the kiss was a bit bigger than the Mentos which made them awkward to wrap. I also had to use construction paper instead of card stock, but I think the cardstock looks nicer. Anyway, I posted my version and tutorial on my blog with a link back to this post. Feel free to check them out, but yours came out way better. http://juanshappywife.blogspot.com/2011/09/craft-tutorial-candy-pencils.html

13. Cindy Kluger says

Just made a couple of these for my kids who are attending a new school tomorrow & are a bit nervous. I think they’ll love them, and they’ll have something (the Rolos) to share with their new friends.

Thanks for posting this!

14. Catherine Steadman says

Thanks for the idea and for putting this together. I will do that someday.
    Catherine

15. Lisa Reed says

I want to make these for my students. We have a state writing exam Tuesday and these would be perfect. I have a problem though….I can’t find the Rolos…where did you buy them? I checked Target and the grocery store.

16. mani says

sooo cute i think I’m going to make these for my students last day of school. the note probably would say great school year!

17. Amanda says

I wanted to make these, and was just about to by Rolos or Mentos, and THEN…I found GIANT SMARTIES rolls at the gas station! $0.29/roll! Love the idea of the smarties since its for teachers, and that they won’t melt! Can’t wait to make them tonight! Thanks for a FABULOUS idea!!

18. says

Love this! I’m sharing it this week on my “Week In Review & Pinterest -ing Finds” post. Good on you for being so clever! -Jeny

19. Amy says

Just made a couple of these for my son to take to his 1st grade teacher tonight for meet the teacher. I had almost everything already, including those fabulous glue dots :) Just had to make a quick stop for the rolos and hugs at the local Walgreens. It took me maybe 10 minutes to put it all together. Thanks for the awesome idea, it was perfect!

20. says

I believe you miss the stage; they are speaking about school changing, but,
    I agree, in a primitive level. The essential word was
    “collaborative leadership”; teachers should
    recognize they may be dealing with people like them, rather than
    some form of inferior species. In case you see closely,
    you may recognize they start speaking about skills,
    but they go on to teaching changes, curriculum changes, society changes.

If we want training to? modify, we’re the kinds to accomplish it. And I am a instructor to become.

21. says

We would like to offer you valuable information about how to formulate an ability of energetic healing and manage yourself, your
    relatives, pets, and your environment on the energetic level.

There were days of biggest happiness, when he was young
    and fell in love. My soul remains to be rejoicing as I sit,
    for the goodness of God and also the majesty of computer
    all.

Trackbacks

1. [...] con una etiqueta de recuerdo de tu cumple o celebración; ideales para regalar! Fotos vía; thriftyandthriving¿Qué te han parecido estos lápices de chocolate? Tags:Fiestas cumpleaños [...]